Saturday, April 2, 2011

Saatchi



Sightlines

Does this gallery enable various sightlines (lack of interruption or multiple vantage points) to engage new methods for viewing objects? Does this depart from other museum visits?

The Saachi gallery was very different from many other places we have been; the art in this gallery was all set against white, plain backgrounds and often very well spaced out from other pieces. There was plenty of room to allow the viewer to take in all aspects of an object and the white backdrop really allowed for color to pop and for one to focus all their attention on it without being distracted. This was very different from the colored walls in the national gallery and close style hanging and elaborate frames that adorned many of those pieces. I feel like in the Saachi gallery where the art is supposed to be up for interpretation, is modern, and very different from other galleries it is important to not have anything distracting or cluttering your field of view. This is especially true with the instillation art we looked at as well at the free standing pieces. The free standing pieces were standing alone and the viewers were able to walk around and get a 360 degree view of it. This allowed everyone to see the indent from the feet and hands and really get a feel for what makes up the piece.

Although this gallery was reminiscent of the Tate Modern in terms of the white walls and spacing, an important aspect of this gallery that I liked was that there were no ropes or barriers between you and the art work. In every other gallery we looked at there was something between the two. I found this really interesting because I thought not having this created an atmosphere that was much freer, informal and more conducive for a viewer to connect with the art. It blurred the lines between artist and viewer and allowed people to interact in a way that was discouraged and stifled in other galleries. This could be because many of the artists are lesser known and art students so there is a desire to create a youthful and informal environment.

Didactics

The galleries present minimal text in relation to the art. Is the text adequate? Do you desire more information –and if so –what information would you appreciate?

I understand the desire for people interpret the art and come up with their own conclusions but I thought the text was inadequate. When I first saw a piece I liked to guess what it meant and what I was looking at, but after that I wanted more of an explanation, and some I literally had no idea what it was supposed to be and needed a hint. I bought the booklet they offered and found it very helpful. Although sometimes it gave a little too much information I could appreciate the art more when I understood what they were trying to get across. This was the same way when we got the tour. The first piece we saw "down" I didn't understand or appreciate until she explained the process of how it was made. This didn't stop me from forming my own opinion on the piece but actually helped my understanding on another level.

I think it would be helpful to provide key information like what it was inspired by and just a few words from the artist with what they were trying to express or say with the piece. Also for a piece like "down" it was key to understand how it was made so that would be a great things to add.

Collection

Do you find the works on view more adventurous than museums? Or is some of the work questionable in craft, subject matter, and composition?

Some of the work is definitely questionable in craft, subject matter and composition but I think that is what makes it adventurous and being questionable isn't a bad thing. Without risks and adventure no innovations would ever be made and no new kinds of art would be created. Although I didn't love everything I saw I could appreciate that it was trying to convey an idea or feeling in a new way. The artists do not ask the viewer to like the work, but they ask the viewer to think, feel, and react to the pieces, which I believe is the point of art in the first place. If someone does not want to think or just wants to look at pretty pictures of fields and flowers there are galleries which can provide that, but the Saachi isn't one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment