Sunday, April 10, 2011

Design Museum


Brit Insurance Design Awards: Your Vote
Which design would you honor for innovation in the following categories:
(list the object title and provide a two sentence response for the innovative selection)

Architecture: Ladakh Commonwealth Peace Pavilion and Classroom Initiative


I really enjoyed this innovative tent design which is used as an outdoor classroom space in Tibet. It provides sanctuary from the intense sun and harsh elements while providing a space for people to learn and exchange ideas under harsh conditions. I really liked that it was constructed using parachutes from the war.

Furniture: Endless
Endless is impressively created using recycled refrigerators for the fibers. I can't imagine how someone came up with the idea to use refrigerators but not only is it an attractive modern looking chair but it is also environmentally conscious. I could imagine this is anyones home.

Transport: EN-V
For transportation this seemed perfect. It is an interesting, quirky looking car that is one-third the size of cars we have now. I believe this is the car design of the future and could really help improve the environment by reducing gas emissions and also make the roads a safer place. It is impressive that they have the technology which allows the cars to use social networking to converse with other cars to reduce accidents and help with parking.

Graphics: A Love Letter For You
This is definitely the best example of graffiti I observed. Ever since watching Exit Through the Gift Shop I've become much more aware of innovative street art. The colors are really eye catching and when I read the text it made me smile. This graffiti really contributes to and beautifies the area and carries a positive message.

Wim Crouwel: A Graphic Odyssey
Describe your impressions of the exhibition. Is the work of Wim Crouwel too minimal? Do you prefer graphics with more visual elements? What adjectives describe the exhibition?


I really enjoyed Crouwel's exhibition. I definitely did not think that it was too minimalist - it effectively utilized different shapes and colors against solid backgrounds. I really liked the simplicity of his work. Sometimes graphics can help convey a message or add to the poster but in this case I think his designs were more then sufficient on their own without graphics. It really didn't need any to be eye catching or interesting. I would describe his exhibit as complex and eye catching without being overdone or distracting. He uses shapes and colors to effectively make the graphics pop.

When I look at his work I see, most strongly, a combination of Mark Rothko and Donald Judd. Color wise, Rothko's palette is well organized and patterned just like Crouwel's are. Rothko's colors are more blended and bleed into one another but in essence they share fundamental similarities. But more closely he seems to resemble Judd's sculptures. Judd's well defined shapes, patterns, and contrasting colors look very similar to Crouwel's posters and art.


No comments:

Post a Comment